PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
INFORMATION TEXT OF
FOUNDATION FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF ISTANBUL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
IN CONFORMITY WITH THE LAW OF PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION NO. 6698
A. Identity of Data Controller and Definitions
“Law of Personal Data Protection” no. 6698 (hereinafter “Law”) was published at the Official Gazette and came into force at 07.04.2016. According to the Law, our Foundation for the Improvement of Istanbul Technical University (hereinafter “Foundation/Our Foundation”) has the title “Data Controller” and is working on fulfilling the requirements of this title. Information hereby given is to fulfill the requirement of information in compliance with the Law. This information text will be updated if necessary and its current version will be published.
Within the scope of the law, personal data includes any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Special category of personal data, which is a specific type of personal data, means data on racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious, philosophical, sectarian or other beliefs, apparel, trade union, foundation or a society membership, data concerning health, sex life, conviction and penal measures, biometric and genetic data.
Processing of personal data states any operation performed upon personal data such as collection, recording, storage, retention, alteration, re-organization, disclosure, transferring, taking over, making retrievable, classification or preventing the use thereof, fully or partially through automatic means or provided that the process is a part of any data registry system, through non-automatic means
B. Method and Legal Reason of Data Collection
Our Foundation collects personal data in accordance with the Law, through the channels mentioned hereinafter, in whole or in part, in automated or non-automated ways, as part of a data registry system, orally, in writing or electronically, and within the scope of personal data processing conditions and purposes specified in Articles 5 and 6 of the Law and for purposes hereby specified in paragraphs C and D.
Our foundation collects personal data through,
· Channels such as Scholarship Application Form, Grant Program Application Form, Donation Form, Academic Subsidy Application Portals which are released in writing or digital medium; and the units and offices of Our Foundation, call center, website, social media and alike mediums orally, in writing or including electronical means, in whole or in part, in automated or non-automated methods of other sorts,
· Documents delivered to Our Foundation by e-mail, cargo, reference and alike methods,
· Correspondence through e-mails, SMSs and MMSs sent, and alike communication methods including information forms and all sorts of communication channels,
· Persons giving reference,
· The consultancy companies that Our Foundation works with,
· The research and controls carried out by Our Foundation to verify the accuracy of the transmitted information.
Identification, contact and personal information, health information so much as necessary, information of family members and acquaintances, employment, education and financial information such as bank account numbers and assets, technical, visual and audible information, reference information are your personal data collected for hereby mentioned purposes.
In accordance with the mandatory provisions of the laws, it is essential to keep the information of real persons accurate and up to date. For stated reason, Our Foundation may request you to update your personal information in specified time periods. If there are any changes in your information, it is expected for you to declare these information to Out Foundation. Our Foundation shall not be held liable for any false information provided by you, under no circumstance.
C. Purposes for Processing of Personal Data
Your personal data could be processed in accordance with the Law under following cases.
· Providing services within the scope of law and in a timely manner, accordingly with the purposes and service subjects stated in Our Foundation’s Deed.
· Receiving donations and aids for Our Foundation accordingly with the legislations.
· Providing scholarships by Our Foundation.
· Receiving promises of donation for use in supporting Istanbul Technical University faculty and students.
· Providing aids accordingly with Our Foundation’s Deed.
· To carry out the necessary operational activities by units, for communications with related people in audible, written or electronical mediums to carry out Our Foundation’s activities and organization management processes including congresses, seminars, symposiums, conferences, courses, exhibitions.
· Publishing of periodicals with or without charge.
· For purposes of fulfilling the responsibilities arising from contracts and the legislation against establishments we are cooperating and legal authorities including business partners that we procure services to carry out operations, suppliers, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul Technical University Alumni’s Society, Istanbul Technical University Alumni Office, Istanbul Technical University Scholarship Office.
· Authentication and registration.
· A healthy insurance and supervision of Our Foundation’s quality, information security and privacy policies.
· Preparation of reports and analysis for senior management.
· Fulfilment of functions such as software, institutional source management, reporting, marketing.
· For privacy and security applications at the workplace, recording of CCTV footage.
· Execution of requirements laid out through laws and directives, and legal obligations (Law of Foundations, Foundations Directive, Tax Legislations, Obligations Law Legislation, Commercial Law Legislation, Legislation related to electronic communication and other related legislation).
· Fulfillment of obligations related to e-invoice, e-archive and e-dispatch.
· Fulfillment of demands of public institutions and organizations as required by the legislation.
D. Recipients and Purposes for Transmission of Personal Data
Limited to the required information, your processed personal data could be shared domestically or abroad,
· For purposes of fulfilling the responsibilities arising from contracts and the legislation with establishments we are cooperating and legal authorities including business partners that we procure services to carry out operations, suppliers, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul Technical University Alumni’s Society, Istanbul Technical University Alumni Office, Istanbul Technical University Scholarship Office.
· For fulfilment of functions such as software, institutional source management, reporting and marketing with suppliers and solution partners.
· For required quality, security and standard audits with audit companies and information security companies,
· Companies that process data on behalf of Our Foundation (providing IT support, providing traffic /customer satisfaction measurement, profiling and segmentation support, providing support for the subjects requiring processing of personal data notably providing SMS, mailing and archiving services for sales and marketing),
· Notably being EU countries, servers located outside Turkey and companies providing these servers and companies that provide cloud computing services in the cases that cloud computing is used for the requirements of information technologies Our Foundation uses,
· With the relevant audit firms, independent audit firms, financial advisor/accounting firms, law firms, in order to fulfill our obligations and audit our activities in accordance with the relevant legislation,
· With transportation companies in order to be able to make delivery when necessary,
· With public institutions and organizations in order to fulfill the legal requirements and/or to fulfill the demands of official authorities.
E. Rights of the Data Subject
You have the following rights related to your personal data in compliance with the Law.
· Learn whether your personal data is processed or not.
· Requesting related information if your personal data was processed.
· Learn the purpose for the processing of your personal data and whether these data are used accordingly.
· To know the third parties your personal data was transmitted at home or abroad.
· Request correction if your personal data is processed incompletely or improperly.
· Request your personal data to be deleted or destroyed within the scope of the law, if the reasons for the processing disappear.
· Request to inform the third parties, if your personal data is transmitted, of your corrected or deleted personal data upon your request.
· To object the emergence of an unfavorable result against you exclusively as an outcome of an automated processing.
· Request for an indemnification if the illegal processing of your personal data caused any harm.
To use the aforementioned rights, direct your inquiries including the information given below and related documents if there are any to our contact address “İTÜ Geliştirme Vakfı İ.T.Ü Ayazağa Yerleşkesi, Koru Yolu ARI 3 Binası No:B204 34396 Maslak/İstanbul-Türkiye” in writing and signed, or by using e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org You can use the example application form in the link provided.
The mandatory information required in your application are as follows:
a. Name, surname and signature if the application is in writing.
b. For Turkish Citizens ID Number; for foreigners their nationality, passport number and ID Number if there is.
c. Place of residence or work address suitably for serving of official notifications.
d. If there is, an e-mail address suitable for notifications, telephone and faxing number.
e. Subject of demands.
The applications made in this context are concluded free of charge as soon as possible and finally within thirty days at most. However, if the transaction requires an additional fee and a written answer would be given to you the first 10 pages will be free of charge. You would be charged 1 Turkish Liras for every following page after 10th. In addition, if the answer will be given in a medium like a CD or a flash drive, the costs demanded by Our Foundation shall not exceed the cost of the recording medium. In case of an application as a result of Our Foundation’s fault, the collected fee shall be returned to you.
Click for the Data Subject Application Form